Discover more from Caitlin’s Newsletter
30 Signs You Might Be An Empire Simp
There are many bootlicking simps for the US empire. It’s not entirely their fault; the empire has the most sophisticated propaganda machine ever devised and most westerners have been marinating in its influence their entire lives. But it does happen, and it’s good to bring awareness to it.
Here then are 30 signs you might be an empire simp:
1. You get triggered whenever anyone highlights the well-documented western provocations that paved the way to the war in Ukraine.
2. You think Putin invaded Ukraine solely because he is evil and hates freedom and the US is pouring weapons into the nation because it loves Ukrainians and wants to protect their freedom and democracy.
3. You’re more interested in Trump’s mugshot than the western-backed atrocities in Yemen or starvation sanctions in Syria.
4. You can listen to Tony Blinken talk without wanting to throw trash at his head.
5. You understand that the last time there was a credible foreign military threat near the US border the US responded so aggressively that it almost ended the world, yet you demand that Russia and China accept US military threats on their borders.
6. You think the US is filling Australia with war machinery because it loves Australians and wants to protect them from China.
7. You believe the world’s most destructive military force is encircling its #1 geopolitical rival with war machinery as a defensive measure.
8. You live in the most propagandized population on earth and make jokes about North Korean propaganda.
9. You live in the most propagandized population on earth and spend your time fretting about Russian propaganda.
10. You think the title of most murderous and tyrannical regime on earth belongs to any government besides Washington.
11. You live under the most murderous and tyrannical power structure on earth and yet spend your time shrieking about tyranny in Asian countries.
12. You want to see Vladimir Putin tried for war crimes before George W Bush.
13. You believe western interventionism has ever had anything to do with spreading freedom and democracy or protecting humanitarian interests.
14. You find protests in places like Iran, Venezuela or Cuba much more interesting than protests in places like France, Haiti or Chile.
15. You unironically call NATO a “defensive alliance”.
16. You rend your garments about China preparing to seize control of Taiwan by military force without ever acknowledging that the US empire is preparing to do the exact same thing.
17. You’ve ever believed for even one second that the US government gives a fuck about Muslims in China.
18. You oppose guns except when they’re being used to kill foreigners overseas.
19. You claim you oppose the misdeeds of all governments equally but find yourself spending most of your time yelling at people who criticize US foreign policy online.
20. You’ve ever accused anyone who criticizes US foreign policy of secretly working for Russia or China.
21. You’ve ever accused someone who criticizes Israel of being an anti-semite.
22. You think being anti-war means putting a Ukraine flag in your Twitter bio.
23. You think “the troops” have ever fought for your freedom at any time since you’ve been alive.
24. You think the invasion of Iraq had anything to do with liberating the Iraqi people.
25. You think the destruction of Libya had anything to do with protecting Libyans.
26. You think the west arming Al Qaeda in Syria had anything to do with advancing the interests of Syrians.
27. You think US escalations against Russia and China have anything to do with “national security”.
28. You think the Department of Defense has anything to do with defense.
29. You think it’s okay for the US to keep waging wars, destroying nations, starving civilian populations with economic sanctions, instigating proxy wars, arming neo-Nazis and violent jihadists, staging coups and persecuting journalists, because if it doesn’t do those things the world might be taken over by evil tyrants.
30. You were bothered by any item on this list.
Caitlin’s Newsletter is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.
My work is entirely reader-supported, so if you enjoyed this piece here are some options where you can toss some money into my tip jar if you want to. All my work is free to bootleg and use in any way, shape or form; republish it, translate it, use it on merchandise; whatever you want. The best way to make sure you see the stuff I publish is to subscribe to the mailing list on Substack, which will get you an email notification for everything I publish. All works co-authored with my husband Tim Foley.
Bitcoin donations: 1Ac7PCQXoQoLA9Sh8fhAgiU3PHA2EX5Zm2